The Center for EcoTechnology (CET) is looking for new volunteer board members with the skills, expertise, and appetite to help govern our growing environmental nonprofit. CET is built on a model of working directly with businesses and residents to reduce waste, increase energy efficiency, and electrify buildings. We are on-the-ground changemakers in the race to decarbonize and we invite you to join us.
In particular, we are looking for someone to Chair a new Fundraising Committee of the board. Historically, CET has done minimal fundraising because we rely on earned revenue from contracted services. We are turning our attention to philanthropy as a supplementary revenue stream to accelerate our growth and impact during this decisive decade for climate action.
We are looking for someone to help us think strategically about the right amount of resources to devote to fundraising and to guide our board members in the best steps to increase donations from individual donors.
Specifically, we are looking for someone who:
- Is excited and inspired by CET’s mission.
- Has individual donor non-profit fundraising skills and experience.
- Is energized to chair this new committee.
- Will add diversity to our current board makeup in terms of representing BIPOC and LGBTQ communities.
About CET’s Board of Directors:
CET’s Board of Directors was described as follows by an independent consultant in 2021:
“CET’s Board of Directors is composed of individuals that are deeply passionate about and committed to the organization’s mission, and currently has a healthy mix of deep institutional knowledge and newer perspectives… The board culture can be described as hard-working, highly functional (related to operations and governance), curious, supportive, and aspirational. Board members aim to empower senior staff members, to challenge each other’s thinking through inquisitive questions, and to cultivate a welcoming, “easy going” atmosphere.”
The CET Board of Directors values the qualities described above and is committed to continuing to work in this manner. We believe that all CET board members must be:
- Dedicated to CET’s mission.
- Strategic thinkers.
- Committed to CET’s diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) goals, initiatives, and priorities.
- Enthusiastic and ready to engage in board meetings, board development, and special requests as needed.
- Collaborative, open-minded, and nice to work with.
CET is committed to racial justice and inclusion. Our Board and staff have been formally co-creating and implementing a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Framework since 2020 that spans all internal and external policies, practices, and services. The Board members we seek share this commitment to equity and find fulfillment in building an inclusive culture in a collaborative, non-linear, and continuous learning environment.
CET’s Board of Directors recognizes that its current makeup is not representative of the diverse communities and clientele the organization serves, especially when it comes to racial and generational diversity. Rectifying this situation by becoming more diverse over the next several years as current board members term off is a high priority for the board.
Responsibilities of the Board of Directors:
- Provide fiscal oversight and risk management to ensure CET’s long-term viability and sustainability.
- Contribute to the creation of and provide guidance and oversight for CET’s mission.
- Contribute to the creation of and provide guidance and oversight of CET’s strategic plan.
- Conduct an annual performance evaluation of the President.
- Be a resource to CET’s President and Executive Team, as requested, for subject matter expertise, business development, fundraising, operations, public relations, advocacy or other.
- Act as a good-will ambassador for CET.
- Contribute to fundraising and/or business development in some capacity.
- Develop the specific diversity, equity, and inclusion core competencies outlined in CET’s organization-wide DEI framework.
- Assist with Board development.
- Agree to all other functions and stipulations outlined in CET’s by-laws.
Current Board Makeup:
We continually monitor our board’s collective skills, areas of expertise, and community representation, and seek to continually diversify our skills and identities. Here is our current board makeup:
Current Board Asset/Makeup Survey Results: