Looking for a fun way to decorate for the holidays without buying decorations you know you’ll just throw away? Try this upcycling craft to convert your spare light globes into fun, light-filled centerpieces!
These spare light globes were found at EcoBuilding Bargains, the largest reclaimed and surplus building material store in New England. Use your own spare light globes or stop by to pick some up from EcoBuilding Bargains. If you aren’t in the area, shop online on our eBay store and see what treasures you may find for your reuse project!
- Glass light cover
- Acrylic paint
- Prepare your work space by laying down newspaper. This craft can get messy!
- Create a stencil by drawing your desired shape on a piece of paper and cutting it out. Make sure that your piece of paper will fit in your light globe!
- Tape your stencil inside your light globe to hold it in place.
- Apply the black paint with the sponge by repeatedly dabbing the surface within the stencil. Make sure that you don’t get paint outside of your stencil as this will stain the surface and may mess up your design. Do a second coat of black paint as needed.
- Once you’ve finished dabbing your paint onto your stencil, carefully remove the stencil and allow your paint to dry. It is important to remove the stencil while the paint is still wet, as leaving it on may cause the paint to stick to it as it dries, making it difficult to remove and potentially peeling away your design. If this happens, you can touch up the silhouette with a paint brush.
- When your design has dried, you can begin applying a colorful layer of paint over top of it. This creates a colorful background while the black silhouette remains clear from the outside of the light globe.
- Allow your paint to dry. This is a great time to clean your paint brushes and sponges to make sure that your paint doesn’t dry into them!
- Once your light globe is dry, it’s time to light it up! Use a battery powered light source, such as fairy lights or an LED tea light, and place it inside your light globe. Display for all your friends and family to admire!